Quarters F-35 West Virginia House
QTRS. F-35-E & W West Virginia House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is part of the Admirals Row, Jamestown Quarters Historic district. This home was constructed in 1907 as a two and one-half story buff colored frame house displaying Greek revival architecture, with a total of 12,550 sq. ft.
The Navy purchased this building in 1917 for $14,700 and used it as one living quarters. In 1942, when additional quarters were badly needed a brick wall was run through the center of the house, which, with the addition of a kitchen wing, enlarged it to two quarters.
Over time the house was covered with aluminum siding to covered deteriorated wood. Rotted porch railings were removed and columns were boxed over to allow modern siding to be installed.
In August the Navy and Lincoln formed a Public Private Venture and the homes included in the Jamestown Historic district, as well as others in the Mid-Atlantic region were privatized. An Initial Development Period was established by the partnership to repair and restore the historic homes. All work was too conformed to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitating Historic Structures. This rehabilitation work was done under the terms of the Programmatic Agreement among the Navy, the VA SHPO and Lincoln Property Company. The scope of work on this project included but was not limited to the following items:
Exterior Work: F-35 East & West
- Remove Aluminum Siding & associated trim to uncover all original wood siding, detail trim, columns and Doric capitals.
- Repairs to damaged woodwork, trim and restore Columns. Salvaged material was analyzed to reveal the original paint color of the building.
- Painted material was taken down to a sound layer in preparation of new paint for enhanced details.
- Installed Vapor barrier and sealants as required. Install an approved cementitious siding, Hardie-Plank siding, to restore the look of wood lap siding.
- Recreate the two story columns, capitals and cornices.
- Recreate the complete handrail system on the front porch as well as sun porch roofs
- Paint all trim and siding to its original buff color discovered from the existing material
- Restoration and Repairs to windows, doors, wood decks, entryways and Gutters
- Install Landscaping, foundation venting, exterior lighting, fencing & paver pathways
Restoration Image Gallery